The Tule House was a hotel and stagecoach stop, built in the mid-1800s. It was also a renowned, cheese-producing dairy that made use of between 80 and 100 cows at any given time. The structure was located in or around the southeast corner of the Davis Wetlands. When the Yolo Plankroad was constructed in 1855, the Tule House marked its western endpoint and became a popular resting place for travelers. The building was set upon stilts as a preventive measure against rising waters, but, unfortunately, this was not enough to save the Tule House from succumbing to the flood of 1862.