WikiChiki is a longtime Davisite and dedicated foodie.
WikiChiki's Guide to Davis Food:
The Top Eleven:
1. Bistro 33 I love the Baked Hazelnut Crusted Goat Cheese and Roasted BBQ Chicken Flatbread, but it's hard to narrow it down. When I go here I want to order everything on the menu.
2. Kathmandu Kitchen Best lunch buffet in town! 8.95 all you can eat, large selection.
3. Sophia's Thai Kitchen Great appetizers and very tasty if overpriced drinks. I love the beef satay, crab wontons, and chicken with asparagus. As far as drinks, the Margarita Frances and the Coconut Kiss are delicious.
4. Wok of Flame My favorite Chinese. Say what you will about Americanized Chinese food, but I am addicted to their Orange Beef.
5. Delta of Venus Oh Delta, I love you. DOV is completely unique among Davis establishments. They bring the hippie to what can sometimes be monotonous college town suburbia. Amazing Tuna Sandwich, and ask for the miso dressing if you get a salad!
6. Village Bakery Amazing pizza. Get the Veggie w/Feta or Goat Cheese.
7. Dos Coyotes Ranchero Steak Burrito or Mahi Mahi tacos. Also, their specials are usually quite tasty.
8. Mikuni Best sushi in town by far. Luckily we don't have to travel to Sacramento for it anymore! The Fair Oaks Roll is amazing and I love their tempura. If you visit for lunch the bento box is a good deal too.
9. Symposium Great pizzas and other comfort food. The Spanikopita pizza is one of the best I have had. The tzatziki is not too impressive.
10. Sudwerk Classic bar fare done right.
11. de Vere's Irish Pub Incredible fish and chips.
Honorable Mentions for Places Worth the Drive Out of Town:
Mr. Pickles I love this place so much I have considered buying a t-shirt.
Chevy's The Dixon location closed so now you have to drive to out to Garden Highway to visit Chevy's on the River. It's definitely worth it. Every time.
Don's Diner I finally made the trip out here. Don's is in an old strip mall on Cottonwood where a beauty school used to be. Don't let the sort of seedy looking atmosphere of the place fool you, this is the best breakfast around, (although their biscuits and gravy were not as good as Cafe Italia's.)
The Ratings (1-5, listed alphabetically)
Beach Hut Deli - 3. Good sandwiches, although not as good as Mr. Pickles. The bread is kind of blah, and the meat could be a lot better quality.
Bistro 33 - 5. I love the Baked Hazelnut Crusted Goat Cheese and Roasted BBQ Chicken Flatbread, but it's hard to narrow it down. When I go here I want to order everything on the menu.
Burgers and Brew - 4. I have only eaten here a few times. The Bacon Cheeseburger is amazing. Nice Caesar too, and I am picky about those. They get points for serving Woodchuck pear cider.
Crepeville - 5. The freshly baked muffins and freshly squeezed OJ are equally amazing.
Delta of Venus - 5. One of my all-time favorite dishes in town is the Plum Baked Chicken made here on weekday nights. They also have an amazing tuna sandwhich (I get mine with a side of miso dressing) and The Works bagel always hits the spot.
de Vere's Irish Pub -5. Incredible fish and chips.
Dos Coyotes - 5. Doesn't disappoint. They have carnitas sliders during the summer that make my mouth water.
Habit Burger - 4. Darn good burger. I added bacon and pineapple. It made me happy.
The Hotdogger - 4. Awesome dogs, but overpriced.
House of Chang - 3. Hit and miss.
Hunan - 3. The quality here is a bit dubious, and it's notorious for bad service. However, I think their Honey Walnut Prawns are the best in town.
Kathmandu Kitchen - 5. Best lunch buffet in town! 8.95 all you can eat, large selection.
Our House - 4. Good but kind of a stuffy atmosphere.
Paesanos - 4. The Fettucine Arostitti is to die for.
Pluto's - 4. Best place for fresh salad, hands down. One drawback - no ranch!
Sophia's Thai Kitchen 5. Great appetizers and very tasty if overpriced drinks. I love the beef satay, crab wontons, and chicken with asparagus. As far as drinks, the Margarita Frances and the Coconut Kiss are delicious.
Steve's Pizza - 3. In high school my best friend and I ate the breadsticks almost every day. However, they have a lot of competition in the pizza department.
Sudwerk - 5. Classic bar fare done right.
Sunrise Restaurant - 2. You can't beat the price for a sandwich, they are about $2.75 (but they taste like it.) Good for when you are broke as a joke.
Symposium - 5. Great pizzas and other comfort food.
Taqueria Davis - 4. Excellent chile rellenos and chicken soft tacos. I don't recommend the carne asada plate (it's little bite sized pieces of steak.)
Taqueria Guadalajara - 3. I used to have better luck with this place but lately the meat is always dry. The one on Covell is better than the one on Mace these days. Super Nachos with steak are good. I'm not a fan of their chicken.
Village Bakery -5. Amazing pizza. Get the Veggie w/Feta or Goat Cheese.
Wok of Flame -5. My favorite Chinese. Say what you will about Americanized Chinese food, but I am addicted to their Orange Beef.
Woodstock's Pizza - 4. The pizza here is pretty good, I like the texture of the crust and how they put the sauce inside of it.