2nd Street can be a really confusing street. From the west it starts on A street (at the University Farm Gate), continuing eastward through downtown until it dead ends at the train station. To pick it up again, you need to go north on H Street, hang a right on 3rd Street, and make a right on L Street. After a few hundred feet, L street bends to the left at the L and 2nd Garden — this bend is the eastward continuation of 2nd Street. A short section exists as an access road along the train tracks from J St. almost all the way to L St.
At the East end of town (Mace Boulevard/County Road 104) 2nd Street turns into County Road 32A and extends as far east as the Yolo Bypass Channel. At County Road 105 it crosses the Railroad Tracks and a little further east it transitions from a worn out asphalt county road to the well-engineered concrete roadway of Old US 40.
2nd Street was formerly known as 1st Street.
During the fall of 2010 and spring 2011, 2nd Street from C St. to F St. is getting some modern enhancements. This will include painting of shared use lane markings (aka "sharrows").
Businesses and points of interest on 2nd Street include the following, from west to east:
- Turtle House 217 2nd Street
- Black Bear Diner 255 2nd Street
- Fast and Easy Mart 140 B St.
- Davisville Travel 420 2nd Street
- Alamo West Centre 424 2nd Street
- Davisville Travel
- Fidelity National Title
- First Northern Bank
- Mortgage Resource Network Inc.
- Ceres Corporation
- Davis Shambhala Meditation Center
- Regency Square 508 2nd Street
- First Allied Securities, Inc.
- Golden 1 Credit Union
- North American Title Company
- Logos Books 513 2nd Street
- Tracy's Karate Studio 514 2nd Street, Suite A
- Mishka's Cafe 610 2nd Street, Suite 100
- Soccer & Lifestyle 517 2nd Street
- Uncle Vito's Slice of N.Y. 520 2nd Street
- de Luna Jewelers 521 2nd Street
- Wok'N Roll 524 2nd Street
- Avid Reader Active 605 2nd Street
- Dresbach-Hunt-Boyer House 604 2nd Street
- US Army Corps of Engineers 609 2nd street
- vini wine bar 611
- Fleet Feet Sports 615 2nd Street
- Varsity Theatre 616 2nd Street
- Icekrimski Cafe 618 2nd Street
- Davis Sushi Buffet Japanese Restaurant 707 2nd Street
- 2nd Street Shuz 710 2nd Street
- De Colores 713 2nd Street
- Mother & Baby Source 714 2nd Street
- Bombay Dreams Restaurant 715 2nd Street — formerly Tacos and Beer and Togo's
- Davis Awards & Watchworks 716 2nd Street
- EyeMax, which used to be Optical Phases 718 2nd Street
- Mobile Connections 720 2nd Street
- The Aggie Barber Shop 724 2nd Street
- Froggy's 726 2nd Street
- Sole Desire 801 2nd Street
- Urban Body 802 2nd Street
- Davis Laser Center 803 2nd Street
- The Style Lounge 803 2nd Street
- Tres Hermanas 805 2nd Street
- Our House in the former location of Aioli Bodega Española 808 2nd Street
- Village Bakery 814 2nd Street
- Amtrak Train Station 840 2nd Street
- L and 2nd Garden L and 2nd Street
- Davis Electric Cars 1605 2nd Street
- RV Storage 1611 2nd Street
- Toad Hollow Dog Park 1919 2nd Street
Pole Line Road crosses over
- Sudwerk 2001 2nd Street & Super Secret Post Office entrance.
- Geothermal Resources Council 2001 2nd Street, Suite 5
- Central Davis Storage 300 Pole Line Road, behind Sudwerk
- 24 Hour Fitness 2121 2nd Street
- Davis Fencing Academy 2121 2nd Street, Suite C-103
- Harrison Self Storage 2323 2nd Street
- Contech Construction Products Inc. 2401 2nd Street
- 2nd Street Storage
- Davis Waste Removal 2727 2nd Street
- Peak Performance 2795 2nd Street
- Davis Indoor Sports Center (DISC) 2801 2nd Street, Suite A
- Explorit Science Center 2801 2nd Street, Suite B
- The store previously known as 2nd Street Music, but moved several years ago and was renamed Watermelon Music
- Schilling Robotics 201 Cousteau Place
- TFLG, A Law Corporation 202 Cousteau Place, Suite 260
- EPA Superfund Site between Cantrill Drive and Mace Blvd.
- Target Built on the former site of Faraday Ave East, between the Dave Pelz Bridge and Mace Boulevard
- Anderson Farms Co.
- Arco Gas Station on the corner of Second St. and Mace Boulevard