|Surge II and part of Surge IV|
|Business hours: M-F 8am-5pm|
|Classroom hotline hours: M-F 8am-10pm|
|General Business (530) 752-2133|
|Classroom Hotline (530) 752-3333|
Academic Technology Services is a unit of Information and Educational Technology. The unit was formed circa 2007 from the merger between Classroom Technology Services and Mediaworks. It was an equal merger, meaning that neither department was taking the other over. The naming can be a bit confusing, because the name "Mediaworks" has been reused for one of the groups within ATS.
Most of the offices for ATS are located in Surge II. The door on the west side of the building (facing Surge III) is the main entrance, providing customer service and reception for all of ATS' offered services. Some additional offices, primarily for Computer Lab Management, are in the front part of Surge IV.
Following the merger, the unit was in a continuous state of reorganization for some time. The ATS groups seem to have settled for the moment into:
- Academic Applications & Support - These are the people who work on things like Smartsite and other campus applications. The quality assurance people then test all this software on every operating system configuration they can think of. They then provide faculty support on everything from MyUCDavis to PowerPoint to Personal Response Systems (AKA "clickers").
- Client Services & Support - These are the people who handle clients and billing.
- Special Programs - One current special program is Faculty Mentoring Faculty... basically its trying to teach professors to use Smartsite.
- I.T. Support - They provide internal computer support to the department.
- Learning Spaces - This is one of the biggest groups in ATS. It includes the Classroom Technology Team, which installs and maintains the audio-visual systems in classrooms and departmental rooms, and Computer Lab Management, which operates many of the campus computer labs.
- Mediaworks - The other big group in ATS. They handle media-related things, such as photography, video, animation, and audio-visual equipment rental.
- Programming - They program things for the department, such as ESP, the department's proprietary inventory software in addition to providing programming assistance to other campus departments.
- The Wheel - An instructional technology blog produced by ATS academic associate director Dr. Andy Jones.