The American Brontosaurus Cabal of Davis Eristopia (ABCDE) is a member cabal of the Discordian Church (also called the Erisian Church). Discordianism is a modern religion whose principal deity is Eris, the ancient Greek goddess of discord. Discordianism recognizes chaos, discord, and dissent as valid and desirable qualities, in contrast with most religions, which idealize harmony and order. Discordianism is centered on the idea that chaos is all that there is, and that disorder and order—the former considered a concept distinct from chaos—are both illusions. It was founded circa 1958–1959 by Malaclypse the Younger, who published its principal surviving sacred text, the Principia Discordia, and by Lord Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst, to whom its principal partially lost sacred text, The Honest Book of Truth, was revealed. The Illuminatus! Trilogy is also considered good reading.
Operation Mindfuck is one of the longest running operations of the Discordian Church. Most cabals work apart on this project, which involves expanding the mind of your target(s) by putting them in contact with new ideas and philosophies. Essentially, you force someone to learn something new about themselves and their world. Like real fucking, it usually hurts the first time, but soon enough it becomes pleasurable. ABCDE does not have any official OM projects.
Operation Write Your Congressman is an effort to get to know your representatives on a more personal level, and let them know what we're really thinking about. Inspired by St. Lazlo Toth, American, we seek action on important issues like universal health care and banning the recreational use and abuse of catnip.
Our Episkopos is working on The Big Book of Bureaucracy (tentatively titled), which seeks to document our Goddess' least beloved form of chaos, and how it can make your life better. Or at least funnier.
ABCDE Sponsored the 5-5-05 Discordian Convergence, where we met Emperor Norton II.
The American Brontosaurus Cabal of Davis Eristopia maintains discordant communion with the Yuba Erisian Apple-Slinging Temple (YEAST). They fully and completely endorse YEAST's Marriage Project (except the parts they oppose).
The ABCDE is not affiliated with the Campus Crusade for Chaos and Confusion. Nope, no connection whatsoever.
According to the Principia Discordia, a pope is "every single man, woman, and child on this Earth." The Principia Discordia also states, "A Pope is someone who is not under the authority of the authorities." It is up to each person to realize for herself or himself that she or he is already a Pope in the Discordian Church. The rights of a Pope include but are not necessarily limited to:
- To invoke infallibility at any time, including retroactively.
- To completely rework the Erisian church.
- To baptise, bury, and marry (with the permission of the deceased in the latter two cases).
- To excommunicate, de-ex-communicate, re-ex-communicate, and de-re-ex-communicate (no backsies!) both his-/her-/it-/them-/your-/our-/His-/Her-/It-/Them-/Your-/Our-self/selves and others (if any).
- To perform all rites and functions deemed inappropriate for a Pope of Discordia.
The Original Snub is the Discordian name for the events preceding the Judgment of Paris. Zeus snubbed Eris by not inviting her to the wedding of Peleus and Thetis. Eris responded by showing up at the wedding and slinging a golden apple with the word kallisti (Ancient Greek: καλλίστῃ, meaning "for the prettiest one") inscribed in it into the proceedings. Three goddesses claimed the apple: Hera, Athena, and Aphrodite. A Phrygian mortal named Paris, who was renowned for his fair judgment, was asked to judge which of them was the prettiest one and thus which of them should have the golden apple. All three goddesses attempted to bribe Paris to choose them: Hera offered to make him king of Europe and Asia, Athena offered wisdom and skill in war, and Aphrodite offered the love of Helen of Sparta, the world's most beautiful woman. Paris accepted Aphrodite's gift and awarded the apple to her, receiving Helen but offending Hera and the Greeks. The Greeks' expedition to retrieve Helen from Paris in Troy is the mythological basis of the Trojan War, which "is said to be The First War among men."
The Pentabarf is the doctrine (catma) of Discordianism. It is as follows:
- There is no Goddess but Goddess and She is Your Goddess. There is no Erisian Movement but The Erisian Movement and it is The Erisian Movement. And every Golden Apple Corps is the beloved home of a Golden Worm.
- A Discordian Shall Always use the Official Discordian Document Numbering System.
- A Discordian is Required during his early Illumination to Go Off Alone & Partake Joyously of a Hot Dog on a Friday. This Devotive Ceremony to Remonstrate against the popular Paganisms of the Day: of Roman Catholic Christendom—no meat on Friday, of Judaism—no meat of Pork, of Hindic Peoples—no meat of Beef, of Buddhists—no meat of animal, and of Discordians—no Hot Dog Buns.
- A Discordian shall Partake of No Hot Dog Buns, for such was the Solace of Our Goddess when She was Confronted with The Original Snub.
- A Discordian is Prohibited from Believing What he Reads.
Principia Discordia Discordian.com Discordianism Principia Discordia Yuba Erisian Apple-Slinging Temple Discordianism Eris (mythology) Judgment of Paris Malaclypse the Younger Lord Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst Pineal Gland Operation Mindfuck List of Discordian works