All Davis phone numbers are in the 530 area code. Davis used to be in the 916 (Sacramento) area code, until November 1, 1997. Phones here use 7-digit dialing; you can call a Davis number without its area code.
California has 25 Area Codes. Students are likely to see many of these area codes, because many do not change their cell phone numbers when they move to Davis. Until the mid-1990's, all area codes had '1' or '0' as their middle digit, but this was discarded when extra numbers were needed. As late as the mid-1960's, phone numbers were 5 digits preceded by two letters, as in the famous phone number "PE6-5000" for the PEnnsylvania Hotel in midtown Manhattan. In Davis the early numbers all were part of the SKyline exchange. These are the phone numbers that begin with 75. An example number would have been SKyline6-5611.
Davis also has a common list of Telephone Number Prefixes.
California Area Codes
- 209 - East of Sacramento, above Fresno. Includes San Joaquin County (Stockton) east to Tuolomne County
- 213 - Los Angeles Downtown
- 310 - Santa Monica, Torrance, LA County
- 323 - Los Angeles - Completely surrounds 213
- 408/669 - San Jose, all of Santa Clara County except Mountain View/Palo Alto
- 415 - San Francisco, and Marin County
- 510 - East Bay, east of San Francisco. All of western Alameda County, east of Richmond, south of Oakland, and north of Fremont.
- 530 - Davis, shares most of NorCal with 707
- 559 - Fresno
- 562 - Long Beach
- 619 - San Diego
- 626 - Pasadena
- 650 - San Francisco Peninsula. San Mateo County and northwestern Santa Clara (Mountain View/Palo Alto)
- 661 - Bakersfield
- 707 - Most of the coast line in Northern California, shares most of NorCal with 530
- 714 - Northern Orange County
- 760 - Huge East Edge of California, begins where 530 ends, goes all the way down to Southern California
- 805 - Central Coast Santa Barbara, SLO, and Ventura Counties
- 818 - Southern California The San Fernando Valley (includes but not limited to Burbank, Woodland Hills, Chatsworth, Northridge, Encino, Tarzana, Calabasas, and West Hills.)
- 831 - Santa Cruz, Monterey, Salinas, and San Benito County (Hollister)
- 858 - San Diego North County
- 909 - San Bernardino
- 916 - Sacramento
- 925 - East Bay, east of San Francisco. Includes Contra Costa County and eastern Alameda County (Dublin/Pleasanton)
- 949 - Southern Orange County
- 951 - Riverside County
Out of state area codes
Davis is not the southernmost city to bear the 530 Area Code. as Winters has some (530) and it's slightly south of Davis, making it the winner. The 530 area code also goes further south on the eastern state border.
The above map is cut from a pdf file from some important place in Des Moines. It shouldn't be up here, and someone with "skillz" should make a better one.
- Also, it lacks some of the more recent additions. Like 951.
- The brown one was made by my own hand, and is copyright assigned to the Wiki under CC-By. Do anything with it. I did it quickly, however — it is intended to be viewed as a web image, not for print. — JabberWokky