Arson is a crime in which a malicious party sets fire to the house or property of another. Sometimes, the arsonist will target his or her own house or property to collect insurance payments.
Pyromania is related. It is rooted in psychosis. There was a teenage boy who set several fires about ten years ago.
Local History of Arson
- 1937 — Davis Community Church suffers damage from arson attempt.
- 1972 — The Chiles Mansion is burned down in a murder-suicide.
- 1979 — Hibbert Lumber burned down in arson fire on January 24.
- 1987 — Thurman Laboratory, no thanks to the Animal Liberation Front
- 1993 — Davis Community Church is hit by arson again, this time causing severe damage to two new buildings being built.
- 2006 — Aspen neighborhood in West Davis is targeted by arsonist four times.
- 2010 — Cargo Coffee
- 2010 — Bank of America ATM at the Memorial Union looked like it was blown up on 8/2/2010.
Not Quite Arson
- 2009 — The Baxter House is burned down by the UC Davis Fire Department as a training exercise, depriving bored, drunk, and/or stoned undergraduates of an awesomely creepy place to go to at night.
|This entry is a seed, a starting point for writing a full entry. You can help the Davis Wiki by expanding it! Just click the "Edit" button.|