Beer is considered by some people to be a divine beverage; a fermented product made from malted barley, hops, water and yeast. Non-German heretics may add other ingredients, such as honey. Many American craft-brewers delve into a very wide variety of non-traditional beers such as IPAs.
Davis is blessed with a good selection of craft beers and imports. The Nugget has an excellent selection of both 22oz craft brews and imports. The Davis Food Co-Op also has a good selection of beers and often has six-pack samplers. The local liquor stores have a varied and plentiful stock.
Davis is also home to the Sudwerk brewery, where you can find annual beer-related events such as the Davis Beer Festival. Another beer festival in Davis, started in 2013 by de Vere's Irish Pub and Sudwerk is the Davis Bike and Brew Fest, benefitting the US Bicycling Hall of Fame.
There used to be a "homebrew" place in Davis called Brew-It-Up where you could go and brew your own beer using their equipment. This moved to Sacramento and has since closed. Other wiki users have reported success with supplies from the Original Homebrew Outlet, also located in Sacramento. Another choice is Woodland Homebrew Supply.
The Dollar Tree, being the mad note, sells Beer Steins for (oh my god!) a dollar. Fortunately they are quite sturdy and are fun to use. Unfortunately my friends and I have bought pretty much all of them out. -JohnDudek
For those who would like some flavor in their bottle, a list of places to find good beer in and around Davis:
- Aggie Liquor — For a smallish corner liquor store, surprisingly good selection of craft beer ... both American and high-end imports.
- Cost Plus World Market — Carries many craft brews in the form of six packs, singles bottles, and large .75L bottles, from such breweries as Dogfish Head and North Coast Brewing Co.
- The Davis Beer Shoppe — Best selection of craft beer in town.
- Davis Food Co-op — Includes fairly extensive beer selection from breweries such as Mendocino, Green Flash, Stone Brewing Co., Russian River , Rubicon, New Belgium, Dogfish Head, Alaskan, Napa Smith, Hoppy, Mt. Shasta, many more.
- Davis Graduate — Large selection of craft beers on draft, including Deschutes and Russian River brews.
- Grocery Outlet — Selection is so-so and changes frequently, but they are known for carrying obscure brands at low prices. 12-packs of "Game Day Light" run at $2.99, making it the most terrifyingly cheap beer in town.
- Monticello Seasonal Cuisine has an excellent beer list created after hours of laborious beer tasting by the owners & their beer geek staff. The list features local breweries with sustainable practices. Three beers are currently on draft: Eel River Amber Ale, Mammoth 395 IPA & Lagunitas Czech Style Pilsner. By the bottle selections include Red Seal Pale Ale, PranQster, Bridgeport IPA, Kingpin Double Red Ale, Anderson Valley Oatmeal Stout, Rogue Brown Ale, Brother Thelonious, Lost & Found Abbey Ale & some Aspall Organice Suffolk Cyder. There is also a great small bites menu to accompany your beer if you don't want to commit to a full meal.
- Nugget — good selection of craft brews, particularly at the El Macero location.
- Sudwerk — Brewery, drink in or carry out a case. If you want excellent German-style lagers, this is the place to go. They include Aggie Lager, the UCD endorsed1 way to get snockered.
- Valley Wine Company — Great selection of lesser known brews, easy to miss because it doesn't stand out.
- Woodstock's Pizza — Smaller draft list than the Graduate, but with two rotating taps that are always decent to great.
- Whole Foods Market — Similar selection to Nugget.
- Ledger's Liquors - Liquor store In Berkeley, very extensive selection, lots of hard-to-find gems.
- City Beer Store - Liquor store in San Francisco. Lots of hard-to-find beers, several beers on tap for tasting.
Beer Related Events
Any event can be a beer related event, so long as an attendee provides their own malty beverage and contempt for the law. For those missing the spark of anarchy, there are several official sanctioned events in town.