As popular as bicycles are in Davis, a certain number of them are going to be constantly breaking down. Davis and the local region has many Bicycle Shops, both for profit and non-profit, that will get you back up and bicycling as soon as possible. Heck, some people even get religious about fixing bikes.
Bicycle Shops in Davis
Most of these bike shops are in downtown Davis, and one of them is in North Davis.
- APEX Cycles — the biggest little bike shop in town, mobile service available too
- Anderson Bike Shop - http://www.andersonbikeshop.com/ - Located at Anderson Plaza, 1801 Hanover Dr, Davis, CA. Phone: 530 231 5150.
- B&L Bike Shop — the oldest bike shop in town
- Bike Barn — the on-campus bike shop run by the ASUCD
- Bike Garage — on-campus loaned tools and supervised repair
- Bicycle Medic, LLC. — travelling tri-county bike repair truck
- The Bike People — new shop, 45 years professional experience.
- Blisworks Bikes — in North/East Davis, by the "new" Nugget. Quality Service & Sales, specializing in road, urban and mountain bikes.
- Davis Bike Collective — the non-profit knowledge, tool, and part repository (was the Bike Church)
- Davis Bike Exchange — an irregular bike shop specializing in used bikes. The owner has a penchant for changing prices on customers and asking them to leave, a big guy, he is a troubled character who likes to intimidate. He is known by long time bike people from all over Davis as a guy to just avoid..
- Freewheeler — family owned shop for bikes, equipment, and repairs.
- Green Bicycle Depot — largest selection of recycled bikes and parts.
- Ken's Bike & Ski — we won't hold the "Ski" part against them
- Mobile Flat Tire Repair — student-run business that only repairs flat tires
- Toby's Mobile Workshop — bicycle repair and handyman services all from his pedal powered workshop
- T&M Bike Shop
- Wheelworks — the hard-core road bike and triathlon shop
Davis Custom frame repair and builders
Davis Web based bicycle businesses
- Bicycle Engineering - Rick the one-man show. Knows his stuff and helps you help yourself.
Bicycle Shops in Winters
- VeloCity Bicycle Center — a new(er), fairly large bicycle shop in downtown Winters. Myke's the man.
Bicycle Shops in Sacramento
- The Bike Business — the place for track or fixed-gear bicycles in Sacramento
- City Bicycle Company - Designs and builds fixed-gear bikes. Founded by UCD grads Ary Ashoor '12 and Vince Vu '12.
- Sacramento Bicycle Kitchen — a community-centered bike shop run by volunteers - Similar to the Bike Church in Davis
- Mad Cat Bicycles — A locally owned and operated bike shop supporting all genres of riders including cyclocross, mountain, road and more
Bicycle Shop Comparison
|Bicycle Brands Sold & Price Range|
|$65/$95/$145 ($20 discount for students)|
|Argon18, Biria, Cinelli, De Rosa, Dolan, Kona, Lapierre, Low, Merckx, Pake, Redline, Ritchey, Soma, Stevens, Torelli & USED ($100-$9,500)|
|Kona, Intense Cycles, Masi, Norco, Nirve Cruisers, Redline, Surly, Voodoo, Torker, Sun Cruisers, Innerlight Cycles (local frame builder), Quality Used Bikes ($150-$4000)|
|B&L Bike Shop|
|Breezer, Calfee, Co-Motion, Electra, Fuji, Free Agent, Jamis, KHS, Redline, SE Racing($200-$4,000)|
|Davis Bike Collective|
|Build or repair your own bike: they have used bike parts as a by-product of teaching people how to work on their bikes, but adamantly don't fix your bike for you.|
|Davis Bike Exchange|
|custom recycled bikes, of all recyclable brands|
|Trek, Gary Fisher, Giant ($200-$3,500)|
$10.43 flat repair (tube and labor)
specializes in affordable new and used bicycles
|Specialized, Marin, Haro, Raleigh, Fuji, Burley, Electra, Diamond Back, Torker($219-$2,299)|
|Mobile Flat Tire Repair|
|Cannondale, Cervélo, Colnago, De Rosa, Felt, Kestrel, Look, Merckx, Opera, Pegoretti, Pinarello, Ridley, Ritchey, Seven, Specialized ($200-$11,000|
(Note: Tune-Up prices don't include parts; flat repair prices include schrader valve tube (Mtn. Bikes/Hybrids), tax and labor, prices for presta valve tubes (Most Road Bikes) is usually $1-4 more based on the length of valve.)
Bicycle Shop Alternatives
Finding a Used Bicycle
- Twice a year, TAPS holds a bike auction to get rid of all the old bikes that were abandoned on campus.
- There are several bike swaps in and around Davis throughout the year.
- The Bike Collective has some used bikes in need of repair. The volunteers will show you how to fix it yourself. Sliding scale donations are requested for parts.
- Yard sales typically have one or two bikes that people are looking to offload.
- Keep your eyes open on moving day. You will be amazed at how many decent bikes get abandoned all over the city.
- Check classifieds like Craigslist or the new contender DavisPost
- Join The Freecycle Network and post a wanted ad.
- Check the Davis Food Co-op bulletin board.
- Blisworks Bikes, APEX Cycles & Service, Green Bicycle Depot, T&M Bike Shop and Davis Bike Exchange sell used bikes, if you want to use a bike shop.
Fixing Your Bicycle
- All of the bike shops in town have willing and able mechanics to fix your bicycle. Check out the rates and decide for yourself which fits your budget.
- If you're mechanically inclined but without the requisite tools, the Davis Bike Collective, APEX Cycles & Service and the ASUCD Bike Barn all lend tools. You can also use a Bicycle Repair Station.
- If you don't have a good way to get your bike to the bike shop, APEX Cycles & Service will come to you to fix flats and any other bike issues.
- Have your bicycle's tires exhaled? Learn how to repair a tire without patronizing a bike shop.
- If you want to learn to fix your bike, APEX Cycles & Service, the Bike Barn, and the Davis Bike Collective all offer lessons. At the Davis Bike Collective and APEX Cycles & Service, you can learn while volunteering in the shop.
Former Bicycle Shops
Some of the bikes on the road right now are thanks to these places.
- Davis Bike Repair — a small business that brought the shop to your bike.
- Davis Mobile Bike Repair — Professional bicycle repair service offering free pickup and delivery. Perfect for students with odd hours or people without a car.
Choosing The Right Bicycle For You
- Check out the Bicycles pages.
- Keep in mind that expensive bikes are targets for thieves.