Davis has a university roughly the size of Berkeley, but even with Borders, Bogey's, and Sweet Briar we only had a fraction of the retail space that Berkeley used to have for books. But today we have a lot less than we had a few years ago.
- The Avid Reader Independent new book seller, specializing primarily in fiction.
- Avid Reader Active specializes in non-fiction
- Bizarro World Sells Used Science Fiction, Horror, and Fantasy. A small collection of more general used books.
- Christian Science Reading Room
- Davis Christian Bookroom
- Health Sciences Bookstore Campus operated book seller.
- Logos Books Used and Out-of-Print Books
- Newsbeat Technically, Newsbeat sells periodicals, but they also carry literary reviews.
- Off-Campus Books Independent used book seller; purchases textbooks.
- UC Davis Bookstore Campus operated book seller; sells general books in addition to textbooks.
Closed but not forgotten:
- agAccess — a progressive agricultural book store
- The Avid Reader for Younger Readers Independent new book seller. — Merged back into The Avid Reader
- Bogey's Books Independent used/new book seller — all new books discounted daily. Discount available for volume purchases, e.g. 10 copies of a single book. — Closed Feb. 2008
- Borders Books & Music Chain book seller. There was major controversy in town prior to the arrival of Borders. — Closed Summer 2011
- Casita del Cielo Books in Spanish for children.
- Culpepper Used Books formerly Get Used Bookstore
- Gayle's Books
- The Next Chapter
- The Open Bible
- Orpheus Books specialized in metaphysical titles.
- Sweet Briar Books Independent new/used book seller.
Online alternatives to physical bookstores: