Types of Child Care
There are a number of options for child care in Davis:
- Traditional daycare and preschool centers*
- Daycare providers who operate from their own homes
- Nannies/babysitters who operate from your home
- The UC Davis Center for Child & Family Study (CCFS)
Hutchison Child Development Center on campus.
Note: Preschools provide an educational environment for part of the day to children usually around 3-6 years old; daycare providers offer care for part or all of the day to children with ages spanning three months old to six years old.
Child Care Businesses
- Galyna's Child Care
- Rainbow Daycare
- Wonderful Daycare
- Davis Babies
- Double Decker Day School
- Kidaroo Playcare
- Kindergruppe Waldwichtel - German immersion program
- Lily's Day Care
- Linda's Child Care
- Little Stars Day Care
- Magikal Child Preschool
- Make New Friends
- Sprouts Day School
- Tender Learning Care
- Child Care Services Resource & Referral (link?) - Yolo County child care referral service (link goes to City of Davis Web information page). This organization provides a free customized list of providers with openings who fit your criteria for age, type of care needed, and language spoken. The list is sent in a packet with lots of other useful information. Covers traditional day care centers and day care providers who operate from their own homes; their information is updated frequently. They also offer information on how to check the licenses and complaint files of child care providers.
- The Wiki's Schools page lists the established preschool and daycare centers in town.
- Student Job listing service Post a classified for a UC Davis student nanny/babysitter. Obtaining login ID generally takes one business day.
- Center for Child & Family Study Services provided with a research mission.
- Parents Together (link?) - Hosted by the City of Davis, Parents Together is a popular way for new parents to meet each other and share information. Must have a child 12 months or under to participate.
- Mom's Circle (WayBack machine copy) was an anonymously hosted Web site that provides information for Davis parents. It's a comprehensive resource, including everything from information on doulas to prenatal massage, but it's difficult to tell how often it's updated. Also provides a login-based Yahoo discussion group that appears to have some activity and a deserted classified service (try Craigslist.org instead).
- Baby classifieds on Craigslist, which covers the greater Sacramento area, including Davis.
- It was only a few years ago that UC Davis began providing on-campus childcare, making it the last of the UCs to implement this program.
Am I to understand from this page that anybody can just run a daycare out of their home? Shouldn't that require the permission of the neighbors?