|23 Russell Blvd.|
|Davis, CA 95616|
The job of the City Manager is to coordinate the overall administrative activities and operations of the city; and to advise and assist the City Council, exercising independent judgment and initiative. (Reference: Position #11000 job specification PDF from the City of Davis web site.)
The current city manager is responsible for the dismissal of the city's only tree crew, with no apparent plans regarding their replacement. It would appear that he intends to cut even more positions within the city's ranks, resulting in an even greater reduction in the city's ability to provide necessary services. The official line is that these people's pay will go towards money the city owes the Davis City Employees Association for errors made during a labor dispute.
The City Manager is paid $158,700 annually.
On Tuesday, July 26, the Davis City Council named Steve Pinkerton the new City Manager.
Recent City Managers
- Steve Pinkerton - Named City Manager on July 26, 2011. Expected to be formally announced on Aug 1.
- Paul Navazio - Previous Interim City Manager
- Bill Emlen - Served as City Manager from mid April 2006 until September 24, 2010.
- Jim Antonen - Resigned in late January 2006, reportedly at the request of the City Council (City Press Release and Davis Enterprise article)
- Jeanie Hippler - Served on an interim basis until November 2001
- John Meyer - Highly regarded by his colleagues. Left in early 2000 for UC Davis.
Not-So-Recent City Managers
- C. Walter Birkelo - Served from January 1959 to August 1966