Although Davis is flat, many climbing opportunities still exist in and around Davis.
Near Davis (30 minutes or less)
- Putah Creek Boulders - Bouldering near Lake Berryessa.
- Nut Tree Boulders - Bouldering in a Vacaville open space district.
Somewhat Near Davis (90 minutes or less)
- Auburn State Recreation Area
- Although this is a public land specifically set aside for recreational use, climbing here is currently illegal. You can find out more about the issue here.
- Cosumnes River Gorge
- Mosquito Coast
- Mount Saint Helena
- Lover's Leap
- Outdoor Adventures leads trips to Cosumnes River Gorge and Lovers Leap. Gear and instruction provided.
More outdoor climbing
California has an abundance of great climbing areas, many of which are within a few hours drive from Davis. Check out rockclimbing.com's California Routes Page for more climbing locations. Outdoor Adventures had numerous books in their library, with climbing info in the Bay Area, Tahoe, Yosemite, Joshua Tree and the Eastern Sierras.
- Cow Crank - The annual UC Davis rock climbing competition.
- The climbing wall at the ARC hosts a small bouldering competition on the evening of the first Wednesday each month.
- Rocknasium has several annual competitions.
- Touchstone Climbing holds bouldering and roped competitions at Pipeworks and other Bay Area Touchstone gyms.