This page is in need of a Photo.To add an image to this page, click "Edit" then click the images button.


Web site

Quite possibly the most annoying aspect of Financial Aid for new students, Entrance Loan Counseling is a requirement that you must fulfill in order to receive disbursement of loans. It contains the most patronizing quiz that is sometimes non-responsive and wastes student time. There is no reason for that quiz to exist. But Here are the answers (In presented order):

1 The Financial Aid Office mailing address is Financial Aid, UC Davis, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616-8596. True

2 The federal government does not charge interest on Direct Subsidized Loans while the student is enrolled at least half-time, during six-month grace period, or during authorized periods of deferment. True

3 Borrowers may choose to pay the interest charged on Direct Unsubsidized Loans or allow the interest to be capitalized (added to the loan principal). True

4 I am considered an independent student if my parents won't support me. False

5 The Graduate Plus is for undergraduate students. False

1 I may borrow as much money as I want or need. False

2 I must attend UC Davis at least half time to receive Direct Loan. True

3 I can receive Direct Subsidized Loan only if I have need as determined by federal regulations. True

1 If I borrow $1,000, the total amount that is credited to my account at my school and/or delivered to me is... $975

2 If the interest is capitalized, the dollar amount I must pay on my loan increases. True

3 There is a loan 2.5% loan fee charged for borrowing a Direct Loan. True

4 An unsubsidized loan is always more expensive than a subsidized loan. True

5 The interest rate for a Direct Graduate Plus loan is a variable rate of 7.9%. False

1 When I sign a master promissory note, my school may:

  • Make new loans for me without my signing another promissory note.

2 A Graduate student only has to complete a Master Promissory Note to apply for a Graduate Plus Loan. False

I can receive a deferment or forbearance form by:

  • All of the above. (which are; *Calling the Direct Loan Servicer. *Downloading the forms from the Internet. *Writing the Direct Loan Servicer a letter requesting the form(s). )

1 If I transfer to another school and will be enrolled at least halftime, I should contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center to request an in-school deferment. True

2 The Direct Graduate Plus loan has only two repayment options instead of four like the Subsidized and Unsubsidized Direct Loans. False

1 There are four repayment options. True

2 Even if I am unhappy with the education that I receive at my school, I am still obligated to repay my loan. True

3 If I can't make my payments, I may avoid default by:

  • All of the above (which are; *Requesting a Deferment or Forbearance. *Contacting the Direct Loan Servicer. *Requesting a change in my repayment plan)

Most are common sense questions, though sometimes the system will reject your answers even if they are correct. This is okay, just give it time and refresh the page. Re-enter the answers. This wiki should aid and minimize frustration. It is important that you read and understand the information presented by counseling. The same information can be obtained by directly visiting the financial aid office at Dutton Hall.