Frozen yogurt (AKA froyo) is a popular dessert and there's no shortage of places to buy it in Davis! If you're looking for more traditional frozen dairy treats, you might consider ice cream or gelato.
In recent years, there has been an alarming growth in the number of shops specializing in frozen yogurt, leading to the creation of The Great Davis Timeline of Frozen Yogurt. This handy chart will help us track their movements in the wild, and allow us to help future generations in conservation efforts.
Places dealing primarily in frozen yogurt:
Cultivé Frozen Yogurt - self-serve, $.39/oz. ($6.24/lb.)
- Yolo Berry Yogurt - self-serve, $.39/oz. ($6.24/lb.)
Other places that sell frozen yogurt:
Other places that formerly sold frozen yogurt:
Pinkberry - Closed on July 27, 2015
- Barista Brew Cafe No longer serves frozen yogurt as of 04/25/2010.
- Cold Stone Creamery
- Davis Creamery
- Patrick J's was a yogurt shop that occupied the bottom section of the former Hunt-Boyer Tank House back in the 90's
- Quickly Confirmed they no longer serve frozen yogurt on 06/05/2010.
- TCBY was in the marketplace back in the day.
- Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt - self-serve, $.39/oz. ($6.24/lb.)
- Yogurt Shack did self-serve at $.38/oz. ($6.08/lb.) until 2010-11.
- Yogurtland Frozen Yogurt until August 2014
- SugarPlum - until September 2014
The Dining Commons used to serve frozen yogurt years ago. However, they switched to soft serve ice cream from frozen yogurt.
Frozen yogurt is usually made from a powder which usually comes in aluminized plastic bags. Just dump it into the machine. It adds water, mixes it, and freezes it while agitating it (to keep the ice crystals small). Nothing you can't do with a blender at home. Powder mixes are usually used by retail establishments since they don't require refrigeration and are easier to store and ship.
Unfortunately, frozen yogurt does not have an FDA standard definition (as there is for plain yogurt). One can even buy candy-coated peanuts or yogurt-coated pretzels in health food stores since yogurt is considered healthful. For true yogurt — and associated health benefits — look for the term "live & active cultures" on the label. Yogurt sold in the refrigerated dairy sections of supermarkets meets this criteria. Whether any of the frozen yogurt listed here fits that is questionable. Frozen yogurt sounds so much more healthful than soft serve. Typical frozen yogurt ingredients are sugar, whey powder (from milk), xanthan gum (thickener), flavoring, and coloring.
$.39/oz. is approx. $52.07/gallon -compare with Davis Food Co-op water at $.39/gallon!
Note: There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon, but a gallon of water weighs 133.52 ounces. Go figure.
- Actually, a "fluid ounce" is a measure of volume, whereas as an "ounce" is a measure of mass. Also, if you weighed a gallon of water, you may not be taking into account the weight of the container. —SS
2009-11-10 12:12:43 I think Barista Brew sells Fro-Yo too. —Aaron.Curtin
2010-02-05 11:42:38 The frozen yogurt craze has begun anew. Does anyone remember how big frozen yogurt shops were in the 80's? —DagonJones
- I do, though the yogurt tasted different then. It is definitely better now. —CovertProfessor
2010-02-06 10:38:35 The self-serve prices are ridiculously high. You'd think with so many places in Davis now, some would eventually go down. Pretty much everywhere else there's a ton of froyo shops (especially over socal) you tend to see 28 / 30 /33 cents per ounce. The price differences add up! —EdWins
2010-05-12 15:43:20 At certain times of the year these yogurt shops are the cheapest place to buy blueberries. —DagonJones
2014-09-08 15:50:23 I guess the market is stabilizing...3 froyo shops closed in 2 years. —chandru
- Pinkberry - full service, from $2-$7 ($0.79-$0.44/oz, $12.64/lb-$7.04/lb) for a cup depending on size/flavor