This is a generalized list of suggestions to take visitors (or parents) year-round, whenever they may come to visit. For the other segment of Davis' population (that is, non-students), you might take a look at a list of good places to take your kids or the Seven Wonders of Davis.
'Authentic Davis' Places
Things you can't see anywhere else, or are strongly associated with Davis life
- Cruise the general Downtown area
- Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings or Wednesday evenings in the summer.
- Davis Food Co-op, Delta of Venus
- See a football game or other Aggie sports event
- Go on a UC Davis Tours campus tour
- Take a walk in the arboretum
- Visit the Botanical Conservatory
- Take them on a bike tour of the campus with bikes borrowed/rented from the Bike Barn
- Find an event to take them to on the UCD Events Calendar
Restaurant and Eateries
- Burgers and Brew - Everyone living in Davis basically goes here, even if you're like a vegetarian or something (yes, they have a number of veg-friendly options).
- Caffe Italia
- The Davis Beer Shoppe
- Dos Coyotes
- Fuji Chef - Might not be the best sushi, but many out-of-towners have always been hyped up about all you can eat sushi for thirteen bucks and this is the one most frequently mentioned.
- Non-Californians to In-n-Out
- Let Them Eat Cake - Amazing little cupcake shop with tons of creative cupcakes that you probably won't find in many other towns.
- Little Prague
- Sudwerk - Best hot wings in town plus a great selection of beer.
- Village Bakery - Delicious pizza with an amazing crust.
- Woodstock's Pizza
- Zia's Delicatessen - A local favorite when it comes to sandwiches. Amazing meats and cheeses.
- Botanical Conservatory
- Davis Bike Loop
- MU Bowling Alley
- Museums and Exhibits
- To avoid the 'what are you doing with your life' talk, go see a movie
- US Bicycling Hall of Fame
- Jelly Belly and Budweiser factories in Fairfield
- Napa for wine tasting
- Parkers Hot Dogs for the Knucklehead Challenge
- The Nut Tree in Vacaville — Fentons Creamery in particular for a sundae or shake
- The State Capitol building, Sacramento Zoo, and Old Sacramento in Sacramento
- Stebbins Cold Canyon Reserve for a hike
2005-06-15 00:27:18 My parents give a sh*t less about coming to Davis. But when they are here, I like to take them to Sophia's, or Pluto's. A good family trip could also be bowling under the MU. Otherwise I'm stumped. If you want you can come down to the AS Papers office and I'll show them that; it's not very interesting. —SS
2005-06-15 00:38:54 Although they've already had a campus tour, maybe you could take them to the Arboretum... You could also just wander around Downtown and find a nice place to have lunch. —SummerSong
2005-06-15 10:33:42 If you feel like taking a senic drive, you could go up to one of the wineries north of Esparto. RH Phillips is up there... It's actually really pretty when you're driving through all the dry, golden farm land, and then crest a hill and drive down into a valley of lush, green vines. They have acres and acres of vines, and free wine tasting. —SummerSong
2005-06-15 12:32:49 My parents have enjoyed the Natsoulas Gallery and the Pence Gallery, sitting in the train station on the corn cob bench, seeing the arboretum, the mu bowling alley, village bakery pizza, Pluto's, Soga's and Symposium. —JackHaskel
- I think you mean Osteria Fasulo, not plumbshire inn which no longer exists.
2005-06-16 11:32:22 Any suggestions for good things to see, rather than places to eat. — KenBloom
2005-06-16 13:32:58 You kinda have a wide range of ages to accommodate and we don't really know what they've already seen on their campus tour, but since it's raining out why not take them to some of our Museums and Exhibits? —AlphaDog
2006-01-28 21:50:29 My mother has been here twice — I'm not sure why she came again after the first time — and the only places we could think to take her were Ruby Tuesday and the Arboretum. But the fact that we have a toddler probably constrained our choices a bit. I've heard the Jelly Belly Factory is cool, but not very close. Lake Berryessa is okay... —RoyWright
2008-06-12 20:29:32 I thought maybe taking my Mom to one of the many very cool public pools. All parents are different, but my Mom likes to lay out and look hot, what can I say... —ahbrapeach