John B. Anderson served on the Board of Trustees, the City of Davis's first form of city government, from 4/20/1917 to 11/20/1917. Anderson served as President of the Board, akin to the mayor, in 1917. He ran the Davisville Cash Store until 1910. He also helped found the Bank of Davis, which was located at the corner of 2nd and G Streets in downtown Davis. While the site has not housed a bank since 1971, the two-story Anderson Bank Building, named for John Anderson, remains in its original site. John B. Anderson, along with his brother A. Gordon Anderson, operated the Anderson Ranch (located on today's Anderson Road, which is named for the family) and a number of businesses in the City of Davis. Davis Ace, aka Davis Lumber & Hardware, which today is run by John's grandniece, Jennifer Anderson, has been in the Anderson family for more than 100 years.