Mail Drop Boxes are little blue thingamahoozits where you put your outgoing snail mail instead of going to the Post Office. Little magical gnomes then sneak inside, grab the mail, bless it, and then deliver it. Here's a list of all these seemingly camouflaged metal repositories.
The weight limit for items that go into the postbox is 13 oz. Keep this in mind if you are trying to mail something other than a letter.
Please fill in more as you find them and note the pickup times as well!
- The corner of 3rd and E Streets in front of River City Bank (M-F 3:30pm / Sat 12pm)
- The corner of 2nd and D Streets (M-F 3:30pm / Sat 12pm)
- Outside the Post Office at 3rd and D (M-F 3:30pm / Sat 2pm)
- F Street between 2nd and 3rd Streets (M-F 3:30pm / Sat 12pm)
- G Street between 4th and 3rd, in front of Ace Hardware (M-F 3:30pm / Sat 12pm)
- Outside the north doors of the Food Co-op, south of the former Yolo Federal Credit Union (Mon-Sat 12pm)
- University Mall parking lot across from Starbucks by the newspaper stands and the Bank of America ATMs (M-F 1:00pm / Sat 12:00pm. Verified 12/13)
- West side of Anderson north of the Sycamore Lane Apartments outside Davis Medical Center (Mon-Sat 10:00am. Verified 12/13)
- The SW corner of 8th Street and Miller Drive (Mon-Sat 12 PM. Verified 12/13)
- 14th Street and F Street
- At the Anderson Plaza, Anderson and Covell, between Save Mart and Papa Murphy's (Mon-Sat 11am)
- 1777 Oak Avenue (across the street from the High School's stadium bleachers) (Mon-Sat 12pm until 6/6/13, then Mon-Sat 10am)
- Previous box at Sycamore and Russell does not exist as of 9-18-13
- Parking lot of the El Macero Shopping Center (Mon-Fri 1:00pm. Verified 2/14)
On Cowell across from Playfields Park near the Greene Terrace condos (Mon-Sat 12pm)no longer there (verified on 10/19/10)
- Southwest corner of Research Park Drive and Da Vinci Court (Mon-Fri 12pm, Sat 1pm)
- Southwest corner of Drew Avenue and Galileo Court (behind Kaiser)
- Outside the Post Office at 5th and Pole Line (Last pickup: M-F 5pm, Sat. 4:30pm)
- The corner of Donner Ave. and Pole Line Road
- On the parking lot side of 1111 Kennedy Place, near the intersection of East Covell Boulevard & J Street (Mon-Sat 12pm)
- 8th Street across from the beginning of Chestnut Lane (note: didn't see this 8/12/2008, but see note below about "private" boxes)
- In front of the Oak Tree Plaza CVS (by Nugget)
- On southwest corner of Lake Boulevard and Marina Circle/Portage Bay West (Mon-Fri 12pm)
- There is a post office at Stonegate Video in the Westlake Plaza
- Near the intersection of Russell and Arthur by the entrance to the Lutheran Church of the Incarnation parking lot
At UC Davis
- The corner of La Rue Road and Bioletti Way in front of Meyer Hall.
- Between 194 Chem and Everson Hall (M-F 10am).
- In front (south side) of Mrak Hall next to the flag pole. (M-F, 10am & 4pm)
- At the MU bus stops right outside Hickey Gym. (No longer exists- I looked today, and it's not on mailboxmap.com)
- In the Tercero Housing Area, at the North entrance of the Tercero Dining Commons, across from the Area Service Desk
- In the Segundo Housing Area, at the South entrance, outside of the old Segundo Dining Commons (pickup @ 10am M-F)
- Northwest corner of Sycamore Lane and Russell Boulevard
- East Health Science Drive near bus stop at parking lot 54 (taken away since construction in 2007)
- ASUCD Post Office located at Memorial Union (M-F, 8-5pm)
"Private" Mail Drop Boxes
You can also drop your letter mail at many apartment complexes around Davis. Several of these complexes have the boxes out front by the street. For instance, on E. 8th St. near the corner of Chestnut you'll find several of these. Typically, pickup for any given day is at the same time as delivery.
- I think I'd be great to add pickup times as well. Perhaps follow the lead of the Payphone Project and split up into multiple pages (pics would be neat too). —Jevan
- This is amazing. I was just looking for a page about this on the wiki and was about to create one when this very page popped to the top in Recent Changes. The wiki comes through again! —KenjiYamada
- I agree that a listing of drop times would be great! —RickeyBooker
- Could these be added to the Davis Map? (Adding pay phones too would be good.)
2007-05-27 19:42:58 Maybe splitting up the non-campus ones into area as well? —EddieKim
- 2007-07-10 I tried sorting them as best as I could. Please make corrections if I was wrong! —LillianChow
2007-10-16 17:41:20 This is such a great resource! Thanks for all those who contributed. —MichaelMacIntosh
2008-08-27 10:45:18 Beware that some of the mail drop boxes are out of service during the summer. I went to the one in Tercero Housing Area and it was locked until the start of the fall semester. (The one on LaRue and Bioletti was unlocked, however.) Also, the Memorial Union Post Office doesn't open until 10am over the summer. —tigerlady