Mary McDonald was an early Davisite who owned a decent chunk of land in the southwestern corner of the fledgling town. She lived in a Victorian cottage, built in 1894; now listed as a City Merit Resource, it's located at 337 B Street. Along with her daughter, Alice Haines, Mary owned all the property ranging from what is now A street to B Street between 3rd Street and 4th street. Apparently they operated a small farm and also rented out a few buildings to tenants. Their land was subdivided into various parcels in the late 1920s or early 30s, and Rice Lane was built at one of the boundaries.