A number of newspapers, newspapers, magazines, zines, and newsblogs are a part of the Davis community, many based in Davis and others based in Dixon, Sacramento, and Woodland, for example. This listing is an attempt at cataloging such publications.
Newspapers (print and/or online)
Magazines (print and/or online)
Zines (print and/or online)
TO BE RE-CATEGORIZED:
Davis residents have several choices for local media. Sometimes even this wiki feels the need to run a Breaking News banner. In addition, a quirky college town like Davis gets national news coverage fairly often. From radio talk shows to magazines, the media loves Davis. However, the best way to get local information and entertainment is to go with one of the many local sources listed here.
- AS Papers
- The California Aggie - The UC Davis daily newspaper
- Dateline - UC Davis news and information
- The Davis Beat - UC Davis's bi-weekly campus newspaper
- The Davis Dirt - Free arts and entertainment monthly
- The Davis Enterprise - Davis' local daily newspaper
- Davis Focus - the City of Davis publication, mailed to residents
- Davis Political Review - Quarterly political commentary magazine from UC Davis students
- The HUB - the newspaper of Davis Senior High
- Human Rights Journal - interdisciplinary, Undergraduate journal at UC Davis encouraging students to make a case about human rights issues
- Hypertext - "Technology News for UC Davis Students"
- International Affairs Journal - Quarterly academic journal published by UC Davis undergraduates; Free
- IT Times - "Information Technology News for the UC Davis Community"
- KDViationS - KDVS' quarterly programming guide/magazine
- The Spare Changer - a newspaper about homelessness
- UC Davis Magazine
Some businesses show or distribute their publication(s) in their stores.
- Black Bear Gazette - Black Bear Diner, a little newspaper contains a menu
- Fabulous Flyer - a series of little newspapers is distributed at Trader Joe's
- publication(s) - the Davis Food Coop
- little newspaper - Chipotle
see also Local Publications
Historical (Davis Based)
- Davisville Advertiser - the city's first newspaper that ran from December 4, 1869 to May 7, 1870; brief reappearance in 1892
- The Facts - Davis newspaper that ran from January 29, 1878 to September 2, 1878
- The Flatlander - quarterly newspaper of "Yolo County Politics, Art, Culture and Business"; free
- Signal - Davis newspaper that was published off and on throughout the 1880s
- Winds of Change - founded by Martin Barnes and Robert Crumb, preceeded The Flatlander
- Alive and Kicking - Music news for Sacramento and surrounding areas
- Comic Press News - a monthly free tabloid-size political cartoon newspaper; free
- Community News - revisionist history newspaper based out of Sacramento.
- The Daily Democrat - Woodland's local daily newspaper
- The Reporter - Vacaville's local daily newspaper
- The Sacramento Bee - The Sacramento region's daily newspaper
- Sacramento News & Review - Sacramento's weekly free tabloid newspaper
- Winters Express
Newspapers delivered in Davis
- The Daily Democrat
- The Davis Enterprise
- The New York Times
- The Sacramento Bee
- San Francisco Chronicle — only way to get this is by contacting Bruce Braly at 530-867-2209
- The Wall Street Journal
- USA Today
Television Stations receivable in Davis. The various stations come in as different channels based on which service (dish, cable, over the air) you use.
Note: The following channels are accessible through the given cable channels or channel 99 on ATT U-verse (which leads to a sub-menu of all three). They are currently unavailable through satellite television providers:
- City Government Channel — Cable Channel 16
- Davis Community Television — Cable Channel 15
- DJUSD Educational Access Channel — Cable Channel 17
- KCRA NBC Channel 3
- KVIE PBS Channel 6 (BBC News can be seen at 5PM weekdays)
- KXTV ABC Channel 10
- KOVR CBS Channel 13
- KUVS Univision Channel 19 (en español)
- KMAX-TV CW Network Channel 31 (UCD cable 12)
- KCSO Channel 33
- KTXL FOX Channel 40 (UCD cable 8)
- KQCA MyNetwork Channel 58 (UCD cable 18)
- KTFK Telefutura Channel 64 (también en español)
- UCTV - University of California Television
- Comedy Central, as The Daily Show has taken quite an interest in UCD
Low-power television (LPTV) stations and translators were not yet required to transition to DTV on 2009-06-12. Under the most recent legislative extension, the new deadline for digital transition for these channels is December 31, 2015. The following analog stations (all UHF) can still be received in Davis (as of 2009-09-22): 23, 27, 32, 33, 44, 49, 51.
- KMUM - Tr3́s (formerly MTV Tr3s) Channel 15
See Radio Stations
- Bounty and Savings — local savings website updated daily. Last update was August 2010.
- Davis Community Network (DCN)
- Davis Life Magazine — Local interest e-zine
- Davis Patch — Davis Patch aspires to be a hub of local news and information for and about Davis.
- DavisWiki.org — hurray! (including Breaking News)
- Egghead — Official newsblog devoted to covering research at UC Davis
- GradLink — Email newsletter for grad students
- iSeeDavis — iSeeDavis strives to bring you stories that are most relevant to your life in Davis.
- The People's Vanguard of Davis — What isn't reported in the Davis Enterprise
- University of California Newswire
- UC Davis Athletics news
- UC Davis Health System news
- UCD LiveJournal Community — Used to be the first to break major stories. Pretty dead these days.
see also Locally Owned Websites