It is played with air or spring powered guns that fire soft foam projectiles, including but not limited to, darts, arrows, balls, and rockets. Because of the relatively low speed of Nerf-like weapons it is a much less dangerous sport, it can even be played indoors, not to mention parks or school campuses (hint hint). The simplicity allows for a variety of modifications to increase accuracy, and range. It is also much less expensive than Airsoft or Paintball with decent Nerf-like weapons or weapon sets costing anywhere from $6 to $40 USD.
- Hasbro - Hasbro holds the trademark to the term "Nerf" and makes a number of very good guns, including the NiteFinder, the FireFly, the Maverick, and most recently the return of the "Big Bad Bow"
- Buzz Bee Toys - Manufacturer of a diverse line of Nerf-like dart guns called "Ruff Stuff Air Blasters"
- Lanard Toys - Makes the Total X-Stream Air line of nerf-like dart guns including the "Blast Bazooka"
- Capture the Flag
- Capture and Hold
- Last Man Standing
- Manhunt or Bounty Hunters
This is kind of a complicated type of game that I've been wanting to play for some time. Start out by dividing players into two groups, Hunters and Hunted, this should be an uneven division with Hunters having the majority. The goal of each Hunter is to kill as many Hunteds as possible. The goal of every Hunted is to survive until a preset time limit is reached. Here is the catch, this isn't a team game, cooperation could be an advantage or a hindrance, and it is perfectly legal for a Hunter to eliminate his competition. I've often thought this would be fun with to play in a downtown area with a single game lasting a couple hours.
- Nerf Haven - community centering around game scenarios and gun modifications.
- Nerf HQ - similar to Nerf Haven, the two forums often link between each other.
- Foam Universe - an open community dedicated to the sharing of all knowedge related to the sport of Nerfing.
- http://www.facebook.com/groups/288167911201117/ - Davis Urban Gaming Group's facebook page.
Where To Buy
In addition to the Manufacturer websites you can also purchase a variety of nerf-like guns at the following retailers.
If you play Nerf or are interested in playing Nerf add your name to the list below.
- JohnDudek I'd be interested in playing if we could get more players and guns.
- ZacMorris OH SHIZZNIT. Ahem.
- AlexNorris sign me up!
- Isaac Hamlen-Gomez: lets do it, trooper.
- BIGjuevos: I love my Recon.
- Maxwell Kappes - DUGG President.
We should really try and get this going, because I'm sure there's more people interested than six. I think if NERF guns were more readily available then we could get some games started. —JohnDudek
2012-10-18 14:47:52 I. want. to. play! :D —PhillipAndrews
2012-11-09 13:23:52 We've had a club for this on campus for about a year now. Davis Urban Gaming Group. Saturdays, Death Star, 8pm. —MaxwellKappes