Alternatives to professionally managed property include Cooperative Housing and property you manage yourself.
List of Property Management Companies
- Ally Property Management
- Azari Property Management
- Best Property Management
- Boschken Properties
- Brewer Properties
- Broadway Management
- C.L. Davies Property Management
- Canleos Property Management
- College Town Realty
- Community Housing Opportunities Corporation
- Davis Property Management, Inc.
- Davisville Management Company
- Dowling Properties
- EAH, Inc.
- FPI Management
- Hallmark Properties
- Harrington Place Properties
- Interland Corporation
- Jon Berkley Management, Inc.
- The John Stewart Company
- Kate Miller Property Management
- King Properties
- Lyon Real Estate
- Paragon Properties
- Progressive Property Management Service
- Riverstone Residential Group
- SAH Properties
- Seiber Properties
- Select Commercial Brokers
- Simmons Real Estate
- Star-Crossed Properties
- Sterling Asset Management Company
- Stonesfair Management, LLC
- T & J Properties
- Tandem Properties
- Toad Hollow Properties
- University Inn Property Management
- Woodmont Real Estate Services
- Zabace, Inc.
The Davis Model Lease
Information about The Davis Model Lease can be found at:
Things to Watch Out For
- Rooms that used to be garages.
- Managers who can't show you the apartment you will be renting, but insist that it looks just like this one.
- Anyone who says "Trust Me" or "We don't need to worry about writing that down".
- Leases that hold tenant responsible for City Services, sewage, etc.
- For houses, who is responsible for lawn and grounds maintenance (although if you're doing it, you likely have more latitude in gardening, so it may be a plus... but do know who is responsible for it).
- Properties that ask you to renew your lease in January or February for next September. (At most apartments throughout the country, you only need to give 30-60 days notice to give the apartment a fair chance to find someone to fill your apartment should you decide to leave. Being asked to renew 6-9 months before your lease expires is NOT normal.) Once you sign your lease renewal, the property has no incentive to be responsive to problems, since at that point you are committed for another 1 year and 9 months.
See also Slum Lords for places with bad reputations, Apartments for specific apartment complexes/buildings, and Rental Housing Guide to discover additional information about the habits of landlord/tenant species in Davis.
2005-04-03 22:24:20 Property Managers (Acadian Properties, King Properties) have a shady level of at least 5. They are paid money by owners to manage property, any of that money saved is money that goes to profit. They have a vested interest in NOT fixing problems at your property (i.e. being shady). —AndyPastalaniec
2006-11-01 21:47:31 Please avoid Acadian, see the wiki entry to find out why, or just ask me about my experience —StevenDaubert
2007-03-01 13:21:37 Save yourself a lot of frustration and do NOT rent from Acadian (click on their name, scroll down and read all the comments) —RentersRights
2008-06-28 09:15:29 Simmons Real Estate has rentals. I know they have been in town a long time. No page or info. on them?? Thanks. —LouisM
2008-09-21 20:30:47 I recently rented an apartment from Simmons Real Estate located on F st in Downtown. Out of all the years I lived in Davis, this has been the worst apartment so far. The apartment had cockroaches, rats, and was a mess when they gave it to us. The refrigerator was missing a shelf and had duck tape to hold it together. The people are very rude and slow. Never rent from them. —VeronicaGonzales
2010-03-11 22:49:55 Can we start of list of decent/good Property Managers? I don't know who to go through to rent a house besides private owner (which could be russian roulette on it's own)! —mperkel
2010-03-11 23:00:40 I doubt there'll ever be consensus on a particular manager being great; someone's going to have a bad experience sooner or later. Likewise, some people are going to have a good experience with even the worst of managers. It'd be hard to really make a coherent list of "good" ones. You're better off looking at the individual reviews.
That said, I personally know people (two different groups of friends) who have had to take both Acadian and King to small claims court, and in both cases, they won the full value they were asking for (security deposit + rent, I think). If there are a lot of people saying one of the companies is going to bone you... watch out. —TomGarberson
2011-01-19 17:07:05 Is it just me, or was the page on Kate Miller Property Management completely deleted? I remember she had good reviews when I was house hunting last spring. Now I'm house hunting again and can find no mention of her anywhere on the wiki. I could have sworn it was here that I heard of her... —MeggoWaffle
2011-03-30 18:57:05 Ya, not sure what happened to kate's page. her website is katemillerpropertymanagement.com —jadeeyes1113