Prytanean Women's Honor Society pronounced prit-nee-an http://www.davisprytanean.com
The Prytanean Women's Honor Society is an organization of high achieving women currently attending UC Davis. The society is the oldest of its kind, founded as a branch of the UC Berkeley chapter in 1952.
Prytanean seeks to:
- Recognize and honor the scholastic achievement of undergraduate women
- Encourage fellowship among women with diverse goals and interests
- Provide community service to the University and community
- Define positive roles and encourage leadership for women
Prytanean's mission: To promote the high ideals of scholarship, leadership, and service within the University and the community. We uphold the values of friendship, support, and respect among diverse women.
More information can be found at http://www.davisprytanean.com
Interested in joining? An applicant must have Sophomore standing in the fall and must have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 or higher. Juniors and Seniors must have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher. Seniors may become members on the condition that they will be enrolled at UC Davis until December 2013. Students transferring from a community college must enter UC Davis with a 3.4 GPA from their former school, and must maintain a 3.2 GPA their first quarter at Davis.
In addition to completing an application, prospective members must undergo a personal interview with two current members of Prytanean. Applicants are considered on criteria based on academic achievement, leadership skills, and commitment to the society. We hold our annual Membership Drive during the Fall Quarter. A Mini Membership Drive is also held in the Spring so that girls studying abroad in the Fall may still have a chance to apply.
Noticeable campus contributions include the donated Margaret Hickman Meyer Sundial that sits to the south of Kerr Hall. Every year, Prytaneans hold a Dinner for Ten Strangers Event, where Prytaneans invite their professors to a potluck dinner. They have also raised over $1,900 for the Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence Center of Yolo County through their annual Winter Benefit Ball.
The UC Davis chapter was founded by Marya Welch.
Past Officers 2012-2013
- President - Aubrey Jacobson
- Service Vice President - Kathy O'Neill
- Social Vice President - Jaspreet Brahia
- Secretary - Brighid O'Halloran
- Treasurer - Courtney Gegg
- Historian - Katherine Rogers
- Membership Chair - Danielle Derman
- Fundraising Chair - Farah Zaida
- Publicity Chair - Yen Nguyen
- Technical/Web Coordinator - Joanne Chan