|Usually in 194 Chem|
|Established in Davis|
|October 16, 2002 by UCD student Joe Conte|
|As of Showcase XX (18) AndrewCholerton is maintaining the show|
Robotmedia is a national student film collective with chapters in Davis,
New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, Austin and Berkeley. As of November 2006, the Davis branch of Robotmedia became the only active branch. During the school year, each chapter has a showcase once per quarter where they show the films from last quarter as well as decide on next quarter's themes. Even if you're not into film making, the showcases are the place to be. Davis showcases are typically shown in 194 Chemistry but have been in 2205 Haring as well. Attendance is typically in the hundreds.
Robotmedia is unique in that it's a film showcase without the same pretentious air that many associate with student films. Anyone, absolutely anyone, can submit absolutely anything1. This has led Robotmedia to be the point of some controversy. Some people were offended by a film poking fun at CalPIRG, others were offended by different movies. For the Winter 2005 ASUCD Election, they showed a Senate-campaign music video about campus politics called "F.U.C.K. the Senate", links to which can be found on the Friends Urging Campus Kindness page. Regardless, Robotmedia has and always will be a place for anyone to show a movie. You might see some films you don't like, but you're also sure to see a few that kick ass.
The idea is for people to make movies based on one or both of the showcase themes, but fewer than half of the entries in any given showcase have anything to do with the themes. Themes for the next showcase are decided by the audience by a democratic process that involves yelling and cheering. Lenny VanBoven is often suggested as a theme.
Submissions must be five minutes in length or less, and accompanied by a release form which can be downloaded from the official web site. Questions regarding submissions should be directed to
Adam Burgett AndrewCholerton.
Youtube promos: Robotmedia XXI ad
- October 16, 2002 Themes: "Struggle" and "Music and Life"
- January 18th, 2003 Themes: "Tough Love" and "Life Metal"
- March 8, 2003 Themes: "Losing Sleep" and "Two Days Ago"
- May 31, 2003 Themes: "Ninja Porn or One Hand Tied Behind My Back" and "Open Topic"
- November 22, 2003 Themes: "A Perfect World" and "Soliciting"
- January 24, 2004 Themes: "Uncomfortable Moments" and "Fried Chicken"
- March 6, 2004 Themes: "Legos" and "Vikings"
- April 24, 2004 Themes: "Malfunction" and "Pasty Emo Kids"
- June 5, 2004 Themes: "Revenge" and "Going Away"
- November 20, 2004 Themes: "Great Expectations" and "A Day in the Life of..."
- January 29, 2005 Themes: "Deadly Sins" and "Should be Illegal"
- March 12, 2005 Themes: "Never Again" and "Childhood Fantasies"
- June 4, 2005 Themes: "Escape" and "DavisWiki.org"
- December 3, 2005 Themes: "Lost" and "Twilight"
- February 4, 2006 Themes: "Nuclear Winter" and "Music Videos"
- Early Spring Quarter Themes: "Bears" and "Chuck Norris
- December 2, 2006 Themes: "Time Travel" and "Daniel Berliner"
- February 24, 2007 Themes: "Imaginary Friends" and "Paranoia"
- June 2, 2007 Theme: "THE END"
- Dec. 1, 2007 Theme: "Retrospective"
- 2008 March 1st Themes: "David Bowie" and "Canadians"
- 2008 April 26th Themes: "Survival" and "Facial Hair"
- 2008 May 31st Themes: "Superheroes" and "Knife Battles"
- 2008 Fall Themes: "Pandas" and "The Civil War"
- 2009 ? Themes: ? and "Data Aquisition"
Current News Items
Make something (anything) under five minutes and give it to us! We prefer you to turn in your videos on MiniDV tape. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to borrow a camera, or to submit your film.
2010-06-29 14:47:21 Is the club still around for 2010? I'd love to join! —ToddKaiser
2012-02-02 00:13:30 I checked both the website and facebook link and they go nowhere useful. Perhaps the club is gone. —SimonFung
1. People have been known to make movies about lego men jumping into vaginas. After the end of 2005, the showcase organizers have requested that submissions be five minutes or less, but you could probably get away with longer if you ask first.