A Reuben Sandwich is a tasty grilled sandwich that is more commonly found on the east coast. The traditional Reuben is made with rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Russian dressing, a dressing similar to Thousand Island, but thinner and without the pickles. Its inclusion on a menu is an instant indication that the restaurant is not Kosher— Kosher law prohibits the simultaneous eating of dairy and meat.
Finding a Reuben in Davis can be a difficult task, but certain places carry them. You can also find "Rachels," which substitute pastrami for corned beef, and Thousand Island for Russian dressing. Rachel's sometimes have coleslaw instead of sauerkraut, but no place serves them that way in Davis.
Order Reuben Sandwiches
- Arby's (Nearest location: Dixon)
- Black Bear Diner
- Noah's Bagels
- Nugget on Covell offers both Reubens and Rachels
Order Reuben-Like Sandwiches
- Togo's - #10 Pastrami Reuben (hot pastrami, Thousand Island, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut).
Buy cheapest ingredients
- 1 loaf of rye bread from the Davis Food Co-Op. $2.00
- Corned beef from: Nugget has Boar's Head brand corned beef for 12.99/lb and another brand for slightly more. Safeway doesn't cary it.
- Swiss cheese from Safeway has a domestic Swiss 6.99/lb. The Co-op has it for 7.59 and Nugget for 7.99.
- Russian dressing from ? $?, or made by combining 1/2 cup mayo, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tbs. red or white wine vinegar or lemon juice, 1 Tbs. minced onion, salt & pepper, and optionally a pinch of dried mustard
- Sauerkraut from? $?
Monte Cristo Sandwiches
A Monte Cristo Sandwich consists of ham, turkey, and Swiss cheese between two slices of bread, soaked in an egg-based batter and grilled or deep-fried, often served with currant or raspberry jelly, powdered sugar, or sweet mustard sauce. Note that the Monte Cristo is a derivative of the french Croque Monsieur.
Order Monte Cristo Sandwiches
- Cindy's, where the sandwich appears to be deep fried in fish-gross oil.
- Putah Creek Cafe (Winters)
Order Monte Cristo-Like Sandwiches
- Ciocolat has something called a "Croque Monsieur," which is more technically called a Salmon Croque Madame given the salmon and fried egg coating.
A tri-tip sandwich is made from a cut from the bottom sirloin of the cow put on a french roll. This sandwich is common in California though much rarer in the rest of the U.S. There are a number of variations that can be made with its additional toppings, a popular one among them is grilled onions.
Order Tri-tip Sandwiches
2005-12-21 11:30:38 My comment went away when the page changed. :( I love Reubens. I'm a big follower of them. Whenever I travel, I always ask for a Reuben at some restaurant I'll go to. I actually thought they originally came from Germany. I didn't know there was such an availability of them in Davis. I've been eating them at Baker's Square until just recently. Now, I do like Noah's better (I just realized that part of my comment was integrated) and I can't wait to try them at the other Davis locations! I have to admit, I am a bit surprised the Nugget has them ... I don't remember seeing them on the menu last I went. —SS
You must be logged in to comment on this page. Please log in.