Sustainability refers to the physical development and institutional operating practices that meet the needs of present users without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs, particularly with regard to use and waste of natural resources. Sustainable practices support ecological, human, and economic health and vitality. Sustainability presumes that resources are finite, and should be used conservatively and wisely with a view to long-term priorities and consequences of the ways in which resources are used. (source: UCOP website's green building policy)
Sustainability means building something that's good for us now and useful and good for us later.
See Environmental Organizations for more information.
Aspects of Davis that encourage Sustainability
- Cool Davis
- Davis Bike Collective
- The Colleges at La Rue use groundloops for cooling.
- Climate Action Team
- Conserving Energy
- Cooperative Housing
- Davis Low Carbon Diet
- The Domes
- Eating locally
- EC Gardens
- Electric Vehicles
- Geothermal Resources Council
- Rominger West Winery
- Solar Community Housing Association
- Solar Power
- Student Farm
- A broad effort (visualized on this map) by the university, including building sustainably.
Programs and Groups
- A Sustainability Survey - SLDS project team "Green Agents"
- California Student Sustainability Coalition - UC Davis chapter
- Davis Sustainability Festival
- Move U A campaign for sustainable transportation policy, formerly called "Move UC"
- Education For Sustainable Living Program
- Institute of Transportation Studies - Works with hydrogen fuel cells, although the sustainability of this technology is questionable.
- TBAR - The Travel Behavior Action Research Team, an interdisciplinary group of graduate students working on campus transportation sustainability.
- Project Compost
- R4 Recycling
- Sustainable Agriculture Farming Systems Project
- UC Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program
- CalPIRG is currently working with the CSSC to have the new Student Resource Center built LEED Platinum
- Geothermal Resources Council encourages the development, exploration, and research in the sustainable energy resource of geothermal. Website has great links for those thinking about making their home green by using geothermal energy.
- sustainabledesign Sustainability in Design: Resource on sustainability - a wiki that includes contests and other events, with an emphasis on the UC Davis design department
- Wild Campus