This page is for discussing the contents of The Davis Enterprise.
So lots of articles are being linked from the enterprise and they all hit that damn paywall, I'm sick of that and I'm sick of giving them links from such a high ranking Davis website (SEO status)
What can we as the community do apart from calling the enterprise, asking to speak to a Mcnaughton, and giving them an earful?
- Maybe we could start linking to google caches of the Enterprise articles rather than directly to the newspaper's site? —ScottMeehleib
- Newsbank, as many wiki readers/users already know, is a comprehensive, up-to-date database (virtual newspaper morgue) which includes most staff-written Davis Enterprise articles. Go to the Davis Public Library website and click on "Databases" Then click on Newsbank, which is bolded. Don't know if linking works, but you could always copy the article to the wiki. —RaoulDuke
- No, we can't copy entire articles to the wiki, only small quotes for "fair use." —cp
- Well, that's an option; then, if folks are concerned, inspired or inflamed enough that they want access to every single word, they can go to the cited Newsbank copy of entire articles or pay the fee, I guess. Better than giving earfuls over the phone. —RaoulDuke
I'm as guilty of this as the rest — perhaps more so. I see SD's concern, but sometimes there is no other source to link to (or, I have specifically gotten my info from the DE, and well, you know, as an academic I knee-jerk reflexively cite all sources). So, an alternative would be great. An earful to the DE would be nice, too. They made that whole big stink about going open and then within a month were behind a paywall without a peep. —cp
It looks as though the Enterprise may have finally ditched the paywall. Today I've been able to freely access articles that are less than a year old. Access to the content now seems to be ad-supported. -SM
- Cautious, as that's happened before (their paywall seems to be intermittently dropped). That said, I really hope you're right. (disclaimer: I make a living based on those specific kinds of ads). -jw
1/22/13 'The Enterprise can be searched on Newsbank at http://infoweb.newsbank.com/?db=DVEB with Newsbank access. Newsbank access is free to anyone with a Yolo Library Card.'
- As far as I know, Newsbank access is no longer free through Yolo Co. Library. I suggest editing the above section to reflect that. HiramJackson