Comics are a widely accepted form of procrastination, especially by university students wishing that final exams were never invented. "Webcomics" are those comics posted online. They fall into a variety of categories, and the most popular tend to have a definite storyline and established characters. They can be simple graphics, "sprite"-based (pixellated), 3-D art, mostly text, mostly funny images, Flash cartoons... some artists have even quit their day jobs and spend their entire time working on their webcomics. Some comics are also published in print, such as those in the Aggie and Girl Genius (below).
Davis Related Comics
- Real Life - Officially set in Sacramento (although moved to San Francisco in December 2005), features such Davis references as this. Author used to appear on KDVS occasionally.
- PhD Comics - Comics about life as a grad student. He covered a visit by the author to UC Davis campus in this strip. Jorge Cham has also spoken in the past about "The Power of Procrastination" at UCD.
- The California Aggie Cartoons - Comics appearing regularly in the Aggie over the years. Most are short lived.
- Valleydog - Centers around a charter high school student in a town inspired by (and eerily similar to) Davis.
Comics Unrelated to Davis
- Almost Adventures (PG) - Artist hails from Davis.
- 8-Bit Theatre (PG-13) - strong on RPG/general gaming reference; stronger on humor.
- The Adventures of Dr. McNinja
- Amazing SuperPowers (R)
- Demonology 101 (G) - completed in 2004, with a full 5 episodes and epilogue.
- dinosaur comics (PG) - same illustrations every day! nonetheless, surprisingly creative.
- Explosm - (PG13) - May contain violent humor, also has animated shorts occasionally.
- Faux Pas (G)
- Girl Genius (G to PG)
- Left Handed Toons
- Nothing Nice - Comic mostly about indie and punk music.
- Penny Arcade
- Pictures for Sad Children
- Queen of Wands (PG-13) - completed in 2005 and currently re-airing strips with author commentary.
- Questionable Content (R) - intelligent indie comic with a strong non-indie following.
- Real Life
- Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (R)- The artist, Zach Weiner, happens to live in Davis.
- Scary Go Round
- Sea of Insanity (PG)
- Sluggy Freelance
- Something Positive (R)
- Templar, AZ (R)
- Toothpaste For Dinner
- Two Lumps (PG)
- VG Cats
- xkcd (G - X) A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.