Before the Ceremony
Bridal shows are held throughout the year in Sacramento. These include Dream Wedding Show (Cal Expo), Bridal Showcase (Cal Expo), and Bridal Expo (various locations). Admission is around $10-20. Wedding websites such as TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com sometimes offer discount or free admission coupons for such events.
The Yolo County Clerk-Recorder handles licenses for Davis. Both spouses must appear in person at the office with photo ID and $75-$79 (along with a parent and court order if under 18) in order to receive the license. It will be valid for 90 days, during which time the marriage must be solemnized. See http://www.yolorecorder.org/vital/m_licenses/regular/ for more information.
Currently, marriage in California is legally defined as being between any two consenting individuals, regardless of gender. Same-sex marriage has been hotly debated in California over the past few years. On Thursday, 2008-05-15, same sex marriage was ruled legal by the Supreme Court of California; however in the November 2008 election, California voters decided via Proposition 8 that marriage should only be between a man and a woman. However, the Supreme Court overruled Proposition 8 on June 26, 2013. Yay!
If you and your future spouse are Christians, First Baptist Church offers pre-marital mentoring with a Christian emphasis. The couple-to-wed meets with a couple that has been married for much longer in order to receive guidance and wisdom. If you are getting married at FBC, it is included in the fee you pay. If you're not getting married at FBC, it's $60.
You might want to seek out the services of a lawyer for a prenuptial agreement. In case of divorce, it could assist in the division of property and spousal support.
Wedding Planners & Resources
- Hallmark Inn offers a free Wedding & Special Events resource guide.
- Yolo County Visitors Bureau offers a wide variety of local entertainment and resources
- Reverend Tan offers wedding packages which include planning, officiant, photography, harp music, cake and more. ReverendTan.com
Announcements and Invitations
- Strelitzia Flower Co, and similar stores sell pre-made invitations and stationary. FedEx Office (formerly Kinko's) and The Printer can print custom invitations (unless they are printed on vellum, which will burn in the laser printers/copiers). The post office has a variety of wedding-themed stamps. Be aware that most formal invitations require extra postage, due to their weight.
- You may want to publish an announcement in The Davis Enterprise
Planning for the Big Day
- Catering is available through many local restaurants for receptions and rehearsal dinners. Call individual restaurants for availability, menus and pricing.
- Gifts and Accessories can be found in boutiques in downtown, such as Nestware. Couples may choose to register locally at Target, and Ace Hardware. More typically, registries are found at major department stores in Sacramento; these are frequently searchable online. Specialty stores may also have registry programs. When in doubt, ask!
- Hotels - Hallmark Inn offers a free Wedding & Special Events resource guide.
- Sound Companies(Not really an external link) can help your guests hear the vows, and DJs can provides something to boogie to at the reception.
James Anthony Men's Wear
- The Wardrobe Has some wedding gowns and accessories.
- Nena's Boutique In Woodland. Has bridesmaid dresses and wedding gowns. If you buy several bridesmaid dresses there, they give a 10% discount.
- House of Fashion Bridal In Sacramento. Has many many wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses
- Rebecca Wendlandt Custom Clothing Design makes custom wedding dresses in Davis, for those looking for something truly unique.
- Some thrift stores sell second-hand gowns for cheap
Beauty and Relaxation
- Hair and makeup, as well as stress reduction are all important for the big day. This can all be accomplished at Beauty Salons and Barber Shops and/or Massage establishments .
Ceremony and Reception Sites
- UC Davis Campus Facilities: Many of the UC Davis campus facilities are available to rent. You don’t have to be alumni or staff; anyone can hold an event on campus! For more information please visit: http://events.ucdavis.edu or call (530) 752-2675 or e-mail: email@example.com
- Arboretum Arboretum There are several sites within the Arboretum for weddings. Arrangements are made through Conference and Event Services, phone (530) 752-2675.
- The Yolo County Clerk-Recorder office will hold civil ceremonies for $50.
- El Macero Country Club
- John Natsoulas Center for The Arts (www.natsoulas.com)
- Davis Senior Center
- The Tremont Church and Cemetery
- Wildhorse Grill
- T.S. Glide Ranch in Davis
- Bear Flag Farm in Winters
- Farm on Putah Creek arrangements are made through Center for Land-Based Learning. Event rentals at the Farm on Putah Creek support the Center's youth programs.
- The Historic Oakdale Ranch in Esparto
- Taber Ranch Vineyards and Event Center in Capay
Elopements and Small Weddings available throughout Davis, Lawley Ranch in Woodland, and Jess Jones Vineyard in Dixon through Reverend Tan. www.reverendtan.com
Solemnizing the Marriage
Priests and Judges are not the only ones who can solemnize a marriage. A list of eligible people is available at: http://www.yolorecorder.org/vital/m_licenses/solemnize/. Whoever performs the ceremony has 10 days to return the endorsed license to the county.
- Priest, minister, or rabbi of any religious denomination
- Some local representatives
- The Yolo County Clerk-Recorder office can appoint an individual as "Commissioner of Civil Marriages for the Day," as long as he or she fills out some paperwork, takes an oath, and pays a $50 fee.
Reverend Tan offers male and female officiants for all types of ceremonies. Elopement packages, and live ceremony music offered in Davis and throughout Yolo County. www.reverendtan.com