This is a page that is most useful to people active on this Wiki — people who update, comment, and otherwise interact but require a centralized place to discuss matters relating to the wiki. It is also a good place to learn about how decisions get made on Davis Wiki. It is a central hub for all "meta" wiki discussion pages. If you use IRC, you might want to check out #daviswiki on Freenode ( irc.freenode.net ). If you are new to the wiki, check out the Welcome to the Wiki entries.
Remember, you are part of the Wiki community, and you're welcome to participate. This wiki is of and for the people of Davis, so jump on in!
Managing and expanding the wiki
- Site Organization is the central place for organization methods (such as finding pages that are linked but not created, pages that have no links to them, etc). You also might want to check out our Wiki Guide and Help with Editing to learn the basics.
- Wiki Resources is a list of real world resources that are relevant to Davis and are good sources for new wiki entries.
- Talk Pages contain page specific discussions. Some of them raise points that cover issues beyond a single page and move to Wiki Community pages for further discussion.
If you have any questions at all feel free to ask them — these discussion areas are probably the best for this!
- General Discussion — General discussion of the content of the wiki, ideas, and anything you can think of should go here.
- Technical Discussion — Geeky discussion relating to the backend of the site, potential changes, would be best here.
- Ask the Community — About media and press asking questions of the entire wiki community
- Ask the Board — for questions of the Wiki Spot board
- Building Community — Discussion and resources related to community building as it relates to DavisWiki.
- Davis Wiki- Love it or Hate it — Sorting out the things that make the wiki great—or detract from it
- Ethics Discussion — An extended discussion area for the topic of Wiki Ethics.
- Longview — Discussion of the long-term nature of the wiki. See also Future.
- Proposals — Ideas you might have that you want to test interest in or engage in discussion over.
- Room to Grow — Discussion of areas for growth in DavisWiki.
- Accusations — Area dedicated to types of accusations that have appeared on the DavisWiki, personal responsibility when making an accusation and editing community responsibility when handling them.
- Accusations of Racism or Sexism — Discussion about how to handle these
- Archiving Comments — Discussion about developing triggers and methods for archiving comments.
- Can't we all just get along? — Discussion about escalating problems in meta-discussions. Yes, this is a meta-meta-discussion. What does that make this line?
- Comment Integration — See also Cut that comment bar out
- Deleting when Leaving — Discussion of deleting user pages when leaving
- Davis Wiki Emergency Preparedness — Making the Wiki useful to the community in the event of an emergency
- For-Profit Restrictions
- Inappropriate Content — Things that the wiki is not good at, or that are bad for the wiki
- Neighboring Wiki Content — Discussion of pages on Davis Wiki that have content topical to other nearby Wikis
- Organizational accounts — Discussion on the issues surrounding communal accounts used by organizations.
- Press Release — Discussion and drafts of various press releases
- Reputation — Discussion on how to handle one hit wonders and their either positive or negative comments. See also Anonymous Criticism
- Skype Toolbar Bug
- Template Discussion
- Comment Removal
- Identity Required
- Category Pages — Index of pages that serve as navigational topic indexes
- Cleanup — a method of denoting pages that need to be revisited for later repairs
- Photo Repository
Just plain silly
Links of interest
Some of these links are to outside sources. Keep in mind these are just opinions, of course, but they make good reading.
- Welcome to Wiki - Since this community can be edited by anyone, it can be easy to disagree with someone too strongly. However, this will cause people to respect your opinions less — disagreeing respectfully is the best way to get things done on a wiki. Also check out the original.
- Wiki Style Guide — Discussion relating to keeping style somewhat consistent between pages.
- Wiki History — A brief history of our wiki.
- Wiki Ethics - Basic rules to ensure sanity. Good to remember.
- Edit War - When two or more people fight over an entry in the wiki.
- Interwiki Links - linking to c2 and the Wikipedia
- Wiki Vandalism
- Trolls and the resulting The Wiki Troll Challenge
Libel - Destroying a person or an organization's reputation in text is also a crime — one that can actually be committed on the wiki.
- Slander - Verbally destroying a person's reputation is a crime.
- Refactoring is the process of altering written text to improve its structure while trying to keep its meaning. It's very important on the wiki. See Refactoring (Wikipedia), What is refactoring (C2.com).
- Wiki Gremlin - Wiki Gremlins are not necessarily trolls, they may be people you know and love, but they edit parentheses and things to damage the credibility of authors and generally lame-ify the wiki.
- Wiki Puppy - "A Wiki User who discovers wiki, loves it, gets excited, and pees all over the wiki. Mostly Harmless but can turn into a Wiki Gremlin." (from c2.org)
- Wiki Rapture - is the condition of persons who have recently discovered the wiki and become enraptured by its potential. Sufferers of Wiki Rapture are known to get in epic debates with the community about what the wiki is and is not, and generally be unaware of or disagree with wiki social norms. See Wiki Puppy
- Wiki Logo, Wiki Flyer, Wiki Sticker. We've had quite a few exciting logos in our days so far.
- Wiki Sand Box — Play! Wiki pages with colorful tables
- Wikivangelists, Wikiholics Anonymous, The Wiki Writer's Miracle, Wiki in Action