Wiki Gnomes are users who focus on taking care of the wiki by handling the little things. Gnomes are ordinary editors just like you — if you want to be a gnome, just dive right in and start editing: fix links, create new links, fix wording for grammar or clarity, etc. In fact, you may already be a gnome and not know it! See the Wiki Gnome Headquarters or Wiki Gnome on Ward's Wiki for more information.
Old gnomes may suffer from wiki fatigue and appear cranky even when they have the best interests of the wiki at heart. Usually a vacation away from the wiki will help return the gnome back to their usual helpful and welcoming self. You can prevent gnome abuse by helping out overworked or overwhelmed gnomes.
Some gnomes are also philosophers.
- Recent Changes — Gnomes read other people's edits and watch for edit or revert wars.
- Outgoing Links — Gnomes try to add links to pages that don't have any links to other pages on the wiki.
- Orphaned Pages — Gnomes try to find places to link to a page that doesn't have any links to it.
- Wanted Pages — Sometimes Gnomes will go looking for pages that are linked from other places that don't yet exist. Sometimes they unlink the links on the requesting pages, and other times they create the wanted page.
2008-12-07 15:39:17 Those gnome hats are SO last year. No self respecting gnome would be caught wearing one of those any more. All the fashionable gnomes wear bowler hats made from real bowlers now... —IDoNotExist
- The preceding comment brought to you by the author of Wiki Completeness and Wikiwords. As to the fashion sense of various gnomes... the gnomes pictured are among those who do not insult others for their sartorial choices, but rather work to create a safe space for creatures of all kinds to feel safe wearing what makes them comfortable. Rather than being a red hat hater why not come over to the light side? —JasonAller
2008-12-07 17:12:43 Ummm...it was a joke. Really. Wow. —IDoNotExist