Wineries are organizations which take grapes from vineyards, press them to get grape juice, and ferment the juice to make wine. Wineries sell the wine and often offer wine tastings. You can find wineries around Davis, especially if you venture up to Napa Valley, but there are a few wineries in Davis itself. If you're just interested in vineyards, many wineries have grape vines, and UCD's Vinecology department has student vineyards located west of campus and The Colleges.
Here are some wineries in and around Davis:
Wineries In Davis
- (530) 756-4550
- 606 Peña Drive, Suite 500, Davis
- This vineyard is in the Santa Ynez Valley, but a tasting room opened at the business office in Davis in 2009.
- The location is near the Davis Musical Theater and Peak Performance
- Wine tasting is generally Saturdays noon-4, but call to confirm.
- Winemaker Kathy Joseph emphasizes Pinot Noir.
- One of the wines was featured in the movie "Sideways", in the restaurant where Miles had threatened, "If anyone orders Merlot, I'm leaving."
- Putah Creek Winery
- Telephone: 530-753-8376 Fax: 530-756-8705
- Senders Wines is a small family owned boutique winery. We specialize in high quality, meticulously crafted small lots of Cabernet Sauvignon and Pinot Noir from the world renowned appellations of Napa and Sonoma.
- Winemaker Dr. Craig Senders is a physician and a Professor at UC Davis and joined the Department of Otolaryngology (Ear Nose and Throat) in 1984. Craig specializes in Pediatric Otolaryngology with a sub-focus on Facial Birth Defects like Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate. He has served as the Director of the UC Davis Cleft and Craniofacial Program for over 20 years, and travels to developing countries for pro bono cleft surgery annually.
- Senders Wines is commited to making outstanding wines where the fruit, tannins and alcohol are in harmony as well as to supporting medical outreaches throughout the world http://www.WinesWithACause.wordpress.com.
- Combining science and art, winemaker Dr. Craig Senders follows his passion to deliver a memorable and distinct wine reflective of the personal attention given to each bottle. We make outstanding Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, and Rosé. You can also join our Wine Club for special offers.
- We invite you to share the experience of a handcrafted artisan bottle of Senders Wines.
Sundstrom Hill Winery
- (530) 304-9965
- 2744 Del Rio Place, Suite 130, Davis, CA 95618
- Available at the Covell Nugget (North Davis)
- Owners: Kyle Richards and Miroslava de la O
- Wine tastings are every Saturday from 3pm - 6pm.
- The winery has live local music on the first Saturdays of the month from 2pm - 6 pm and the second and fourth Thursdays of the month from 5pm - 7pm.
Wineries Close to Davis
- (530) 795-3201
- 15 Main Street in Winters
- Berryessa Gap website
- Their web site says they're open every Friday and Saturday from 4pm-8pm
Jess Jones Vineyard
- Jess Jones recently opened a tasting room in Dixon, near Midway Road.
- Open 1-5:30 p.m. Fri-Sun for tastings.
- Visit their website for info and details about their offerings: http://jessjonesvineyard.com/
Purple Pearl Vineyards - closing after 3/24/2014
- (707) 693-1607
- 9177 Currey Road, Dixon, CA 95620
- Purple Pearl Vineyards Website
- Small little winery about 20 minute bike ride (less by car) from West Davis. Go down Russell, turn left on County Road 98. If you're on bike and a bit daring, you can cut through some fields and make the bike ride much shorter. As of March 2014, they have sold almost all of their stock of wines and will be permanently closed after this weekend.
Satiety Winery & Cafe
- (530) 661-0680
- 40101 County Road 25a (Woodland)
- This place is a bit odd -its run by an ex-UCD science Prof. who claims that wine making isn't rocket science...and it shows - the wine is horrible!
- As of 11/9/07 a "Winery For Sale" sign popped up on the Satiety property. It can be seen from HWY 113 near the Road 25A exit...It is supposed that the Winery is finally going out of business.
Wineries Further Away
- (707) 451-9516 in Vacaville
- accardi website
- Small winery run by a friendly Italian fellow. tasting by appointment only.
Bogle Vineyard Winery
- (916) 744-1669
- 37783 County Road 144 in (Clarksburg)
- (916) 371-6776
- 610 Harbor Blvd in (West Sacramento)
- (707) 426-4424 in Fairfield (Suisun Valley)
- Ledgewood website
- only a few years old with a great tasting room and super friendly staff
- (530) 662-3215
- 26836 County Road 12a in (Esparto)
- http://www.nightharvest.com or http://www.toastedhead.com
I would NOT suggest the RH Phillips winery, as they mistreat their ag workers.
I WOULD suggest RH Phillips winery. Its always free wine tasting and they make Toasted Head wine. The winery is about half an hour drive from Davis so its a little out there but really pretty and some nice people work behind the tasting bar.
They once were family owned, but have twice been sold to larger corporate entities. I prefer Bogle: not tiny but still family owned.
- There is no evidence at their web site that they have a tasting room in Esparto, as of March 2014
- They once were family owned, but have twice been sold to larger corporate entities. I prefer Bogle: not tiny but still family owned.
- I WOULD suggest RH Phillips winery. Its always free wine tasting and they make Toasted Head wine. The winery is about half an hour drive from Davis so its a little out there but really pretty and some nice people work behind the tasting bar.
Wooden Valley Winery
- (707) 864-0730 in Fairfield (Suisun Valley)
- Wooden Valley website
- good, cheap wine (and sparkling wine!). tasting room closed on Mondays.
- Alpha Omega Winery